Monday, October 8, 2012

Catch up, not Katchup

Hello stranger!
It was Summer, I had no time nor ambition to post. That's all there is to it.
Here are some of the things that I was up to earlier this year.
~

This past year I have started volunteering at the High Desert Museum in the living history department (if you read my blog you should know this already...)
I have one skirt and a bodice. only.. one.. bodice...

This would not last long.
I found this fabric at JoAnn's. and I love it so much I can't even tell you.

I had no pattern that I liked enough for this fabric and what I had in mind.
So I drafted my own pattern.


Here is the finished product.





 


~

A little foundation...
For...




....A cordedpetty coat!
At reenactments I have found that I hate having to wear a ridiculous hoop skirt. That I am constantly bumping into things, knocking things over, nearly catching myself on fire.
So this year I made a cordedpetty coat.
It is about two panels in width.
Instead of using cord by the yard witch can cost up to and beyond $3.99...A yard.. I took a cue from a good friend and used cotton cloths line instead! it took two 100 yard bundles at $4.99 apiece.


The only down side that I have with this petticoat would have to be the sheer weight of it. When wearing it (with all my other layers as well.) I am a good ten pounds heavier. I'm not kidding.
So to combat this (literal) pain in the back I did a few different things. First- the butt pad. Not only does it give me that lovely hour glass shape, but it helps support the skirt. Second- a WIDE waist band.


Despite the fact that it is rather heavy ( By the end of the day you can't really feel the weight anymore. It's not that bad.. )
I LOVE this pettycoat!!! I did not even wear my hoop for most of  the events!
I may never wear a hoop out to a reenactment again, in fact!
~
Before each event I had to put a little TLC into  the petticoat, IE- Iron and starch the heck out of that thing!!!
when packing for McIver ( our last event of the year:( ) I found that after just two events and three starchings your petticoat WILL in fact stand by it's self!


~

Croquette dress and matching shirt for my Father.
( Gotta love the looks on our face's )


~
Hats
I love hats.

Here are some hats that I made this year for reenacting.
My porkpie.
My all time favorite hat.
It is made of royal blue velvet over a buckram base.
It is just a plain, round, flat top hat.


My Glengery.
Made of dark red empress velvet over a cotton and soft felt base.




I especially like the swallow tail back..


Can we please bring hats back into fashion?
I hate that I can't wear these hats for another nine months..
Cue sad face.


~
Some repair work.

I finally gave in this year and got a pair of Toms
And I don't know why I waited so long, they are SO comfy!
Well this summer I wore them pretty hard.
So in September, when I looked down and saw that my toe was about to pop through the end if I wasn't careful.
 I was rather upset!
They are not the cheapest shoes out there and I was not about to throw them out when they DID get a hole!


The lining had a hole already and my toenail was now working on the outer layer.


So I thought. I can sew! why not just put a patch on them?!


Found some fabric in my mothers stash.
Cut out the bits I wanted, pined them onto the shoes...






Then sewed it on. And POOF they are like brand new shoes again!


They are a bit dirty in this photo as I had worn them to McIver set up day,
and it had rained so it was very wet.

I am glad that I was able to pump some more life into them!

~

And there are some of the things that I have been up to earlier this year!
Happy Catch up~
Kacie



1 comment:

  1. Love those patches! :)

    And the hats... and the bodice! You make such lovely things.

    Hey, I think you could wear those hats whenever you want! They would be darling with a shirt-dress.

    Love you!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete